We extend our sincere sympathy as you face the loss of your baby. Even though you never met him or her, he or she was a unique person created in the image and likeness of God. He or she did exist and there can be real sorrow as a result of your baby’s death. We are here to support you, comfort you and assist you in any way you would like us to. May God grant you peace in your time of sorrow.
My Lord, the baby is dead!
Why, my Lord—dare I ask why? It will not hear the whisper of the wind or see the beauty of its parents’ face—it will not see the beauty of Your creation or the flame of a sunrise. Why, my Lord?
“Why, My child—do you ask ‘why’? Well, I will tell you why.
You see, the child lives. Instead of the wind he hears the sound of angels singing before My throne. Instead of the beauty that passes he sees everlasting Beauty—he sees My face. He was created and lived a short time so the image of his parents imprinted on his face may stand before Me as their personal intercessor. He knows secrets of heaven unknown to men on earth. He laughs with a special joy that only the innocent possess. My ways are not the ways of man. I create for My Kingdom and each creature fills a place in that Kingdom that could not be filled by another. He was created for My joy and his parents’ merits. He has never seen pain or sin. He has never felt hunger or pain. I breathed a soul into a seed, made it grow and called it forth.”
I am humbled before you, my Lord, for questioning Your wisdom, goodness, and love. I speak as a fool—forgive me. I acknowledge Your sovereign rights over life and death. I thank You for the life that began for so short a time to enjoy so long an Eternity.
— Written by Mother M. Angelica
Little Souls Cemetery
St. Mary Cemetery has a Little Souls section where babies who were miscarried prior to 20 weeks gestation can be buried.
Guidelines for Use of the Cemetery
– You or a relative must be a St. Mary Parishioner
– Your baby must be under 20 weeks gestation
– After your miscarriage, contact the parish office at 812-663-8427 to make arrangements for the burial of your baby.
– After burial, you can have an 8×8 inch granite marker engraved with the baby’s name, date of death, and parents’ names. A burial cannot occur without having a marker engraved.
– Burial vessels must fit inside a 6” diameter by 12” long cylinder burial vault.
– To facilitate grounds keeping, individual gravesite decorations are not permitted.
– You can have a simple gravesite blessing and burial service
What if I Do Not Have My Baby’s Remains?
You can purchase a 4”x 5” porcelain plaque to be affixed to a monument in the Little Souls cemetery. It may include the name of your baby, date of death, and the names of the parents.
Speak to Another Parent
If you would like to speak to someone who has also experienced a miscarriage, feel free to contact the parish office at 812- 663-8427 ex. 200 and they will put you in contact with another mother.
– There are kits and burial vessels available for use during a miscarriage and burial. For more information, contact:
– Porter-Oliger-Pearson Funeral Home 812-663-2192
– Gilliland-Howe Funeral Home 812-663-8341
– Heaven’s Gain 513-607-6083 www.heavensgain.org
– Rest in His Arms Angel Gowns 847-409-3595 www.RestinHisArms.org
– Elizabeth Ministries International 920-766-9380 http://shopelizabethministry.mybigcommerce.com
Help for Recurrent Miscarriage or Infertility
NaProTechnology is a medical reproductive science that can help with recurrent miscarriage or infertility. It monitors a woman’s cycles and treats the causes of underlying problems. Unlike IVF or other artificial reproductive technologies (ART), it addresses the underlying issue instead of just trying to get a woman pregnant. It looks at hormone issues, endometriosis, thyroid issues, physiological abnormalities, and a host of other potential causes of infertility or miscarriage. All procedures are moral and are carried out within the guidelines of the teachings of the Catholic Church. Unlike ART, it has an 80% successful pregnancy rate. It is covered by insurance because it is treating the underlying medical conditions that are manifested by the symptom of infertility. NaProTechnology can also be used by any teenager or woman for painful cramps, abnormal bleeding, premenstrual syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome, endometriosis, postpartum depression, and many other health issues.
For more information regarding NaProTECHNOLOGY, contact:
– Rebecca Harpring at Covenant Resources www.covenantresources.org
– Pope Paul VI Institute www.popepaulvi.com
– Franciscan FertilityCare Center (Greenwood) https://www.franciscanhealth.org/find-a-location/franciscan-fertilitycare-center-275589
NaProTECHNOLOGY Trained Physicians in the Area:
-Dr. Casey Delcoco, 317-306-5588, www.magnificatfamilymedicine.com
-Dr. Maret Cline, 317-573-7050, www.axiawh.com/providers/cline-maret/
-Dr. Holly Smith, 317-415-6110, Ascension Healthcare
-Dr. Michael Padilla, 317-528-7071, https://www.franciscanhealth.org/find-a-location/franciscan-fertilitycare-center-275589
Miscarriage Burial Vessels and Covers Supplies
Porcelain Title or Granite Paver Order Form for Little Souls Cemetery
Little Souls Memorial Ornaments
Download our Brochure for more information
812-663-8427 ex. 200